- Call your Airline to reserve a spot for your carry-on pet. Most airlines have a maximum number of carry-on pets that are allowed to go in the cabin. The sooner the better, and make sure you have all the flight information you need on hand.
- When you go to the airport, you have to check-in in the main cabin line. You can’t check-in in the machines, unfortunately.
- Every airline has a fee requirement for your pet. (In American Airlines is about $125 each way)
- Make sure you travel light! In security you will have to carry your pet while you take off your shoes, laptop, put everything on the machine etc.
- When you get to the plane, you’ll have to place your dog in the carrier under the seat in front of you.
- Finally, enjoy your flight!
Things you should know:
- Make sure to buy an Airline approved bag. The one I own is a Sherpa Bag. They come in all sizes and they are very light. Do not buy the hard kennels, this are NOT airline approved.
- Do not give your dog any food or water at least 5 hours before the flight. Also, make sure you walk your pet before going to the airport. We don’t want accidents!
- You do not need a health certificate to travel within the United States.
What to pack in the bag?
- Two collapsible bowls
- Anxiety drops, just in case your pet gets nervous.
- ID Card with all your information
- A sweater for your dog. Sometimes planes are very cold!
Note: These tips are for traveling within the United States.