I lost my passport three days before my trip to Southeast Asia. When I realized my passport was missing I thought my vacation was completely ruined.
How did I lose it? I left it in my car’s rooftop and then forget about it. Hours later I was able to find my phone through Find My IPhone (thank you technology) and passport case. Unfortunately, the case was empty.
Here’s your complete guide to successfully get a USA Passport in 36hrs:
- Visit the official US Department of State website to find out all the necessary forms, information and documents needed to apply for a new passport.
- Be sure all the documents are properly filled! (No mistakes!)
- Bring two copies of everything! Example: passport application, 2x2 photos, proof of citizenship, drivers license, birth certificate, travel itinerary etc.
- Arrive early! The agency opens at 9AM, but people with “no appointment” start to line up at 1 AM (crazy, right?!) I arrived at 3 AM and I was #10 in line. Within the next half an hour, the line already exceeded 50 people. Mind that they only allow 40 “no appointment” spots every day.
- A police officer will arrive at 7AM and he will give you a number! After this, he will tell you to come back at 9AM. Do not leave the area! This is the time you have to go to the bathroom, have breakfast etc.
- At 9AM the police officer will tell you to line-up again. All the people with appointments will go first (Ugh). Once they are done, the “no appointment” line will start to move.
- When your turn comes, the police officer will allow you to take an elevator to the third floor.
- Be ready to pass a security checkpoint and make sure all your paperwork is in order!
- A security officer will check that your application is complete and then they will give you another number. (The average wait is 40 minutes to an hour)
- Around 11 AM, the “no appointments” numbers will start to be called. When your turn comes, an officer will process your application. Be ready to take an oath and submit your payment. Once your application is submitted, the officer will tell you to come back the next day at 2 o’clock to pick up your passport.
THAT’S IT! The process is very LONG, but it guarantees you a passport in 36 hours. Honestly, the wait is not that bad and it goes by fast. Come mentally prepared that you are going to wait in line for several hours and the process will run smoothly for you. The officers are very friendly and polite. They are there to help you!
Things you should know:
- Parking is expensive! Take an Uber if you can.
- Don’t stress! The Miami Passport Agency will get you a passport in time for your international trip.
- You will wait for several hours. To make your waiting more comfortable, bring a foldable chair, headphones, coffee, snacks, cash etc.
- Do not leave your spot in the line! People will offer to “save your spot” so you can go to the bathroom or get a snack. Do not risk it! Time for bathroom break and breakfast will be provided.
- Turn off your phone! If you phone rings, the police officers will kick you out of the room.
- Bring checks just in case the credit card system is not working. Make check payable to: US Department of State. ($195 for standard passport)
The Miami Passport Agency is located at:
1501 Biscayne Blvd
Miami, FL 33132
About The Author
Mariella Molestina Noboa
The art of saying "Yes!" can take you far away. Many people pass on opportunities for many reasons, one of them being fear. Through my life I've encounter many people that forget to live the present for something that might not even happen in the future. If you are constantly waiting for the right time to finally do something, like fulfill your life dream, you are going to spend most of your life waiting.
My name is Mariella and I created this blog as a source of inspiration for others to believe they can live the life they always pictured. The secret? Believe you can and take action. The world awaits!