Travel Inspiration

How To Become A World Traveler

Many people have asked me what made me decide to travel the world? It’s a hard question.. I’ve traveled my entire life but couple of years ago I felt the need to see what’s out there and started to book flights more frequently. I took advantage of every college break or opportunity I had to travel. I started visiting friends in other colleges around the US and Europe. When college ended, I decided to take some time off. I didn’t want to work right away and felt like I needed to take some time to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.

I started to plan my travels for that year. I visited a lot of amazing places, such as Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Colombia and much more. But it wasn’t until after my trip to Mexico that I decided to actually travel the world. And for that I have to thank my friend Juan Camilo for inspiring me to wander the world, learn about other cultures and find everything fascinating!

To become a world traveler you need someone to inspire you to see life at a different perspective. On my first day in Mexico, my friends would stare at a lake for hours and wouldn’t stop talking  about how amazing it was. At first, I didn’t understand why my friends found this so fascinating. For me, it was just a lake. But after spending several days with them I started to see and feel what they meant. You know you’ve become a true world traveler when you start seeing everyday things extremely fascinating. And when you reach that state of mind, your perspective changes in many ways that will make every trip the most amazing trip of your life.

Traveling is not only about visiting the touristy places the internet told you to visit, is about learning the experience locals live on a daily basis. I started to feel this way when I imagined how my life would’ve been if I was born and raised in this place. And not a trip has passed that I don’t take a moment to analyze this.

I once had a travel buddy that said “Mmm.. I don’t think this is that great! It’s just a waterfall…” while visiting one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world. That’s the moment I realized the difference between the people that travel just to say they’ve been there and the people that travel to take in and experience how amazing the world is.

Until next trip,

Mariella

1. Great read and something to reflect on for travelers. There’s a difference on seeing and experiencing.

2. Great post! I’m the exact same, trying to travel in-between my studies as much as possible. The last paragraph really rings true to me, my family are not that interested in travelling and don’t understand why i do it. There is no way i can explain it to them that would make them realise how incredible travelling is!

3. Beautiful read!! I work full-time and am in college 3/4th’s time (that’s a thing apparently lol), and love taking advantages of holidays and weekends to travel as much as possible, often to the off the beaten path places.

Thank you, Bri! My advice is to take advantage of any opportunity you have to travel 🙂

4. Nicole says

Yes, there are people who travel as a checklist of places to see. Great read.

Thank you, Nicole! Yes, There’s a big difference between seeing and experiencing. – Mariella

5. Yay a fellow world traveller! Do you travel long term? Or short trips with a real life job (;

A little bit of both! My job offers very flexible hours. As long as I get the work done in time, my boss is usually ok with my travel plans. Per year I take two long term trips and each month I take a 4-day trip. 🙂

6. Interesting perspective. I don’t think you have to be a world traveler to appreciate the small things in life. I think it’s also important to remember that not everyone loves to travel and that’s OK too. I prefer to leave the labels off and just worry about me, not how everyone else travels or doesn’t travel 🙂

Absolutely! I agree, not everyone shares my same perspective towards the world. Many prefer to stay in their comfort zone. I’m the complete opposite. But the problem is when that person wants to make travel plans with you, complete opposites personalities when traveling usually leads to a chaos. For example, I wanted to hike but my cousin wanted to stay at the hotel’s spa all day long haha It’s ok, good for my cousin but I would’ve rather not chosen her as a my travel buddy. 🙂

7. An interesting read, thanks for posting. I do sometimes think that after travelling for quite some time, some become a bit numb to beautiful views – it is easy to take things for granted sometimes!

100% agree with your statement. I’ve been traveling the world for three years now and it got to the point where I didn’t even want to do any activities or I was just “a little bored” or “uninterested” in what the tour guide was saying. The medicine to get your wanderlust back is to stop traveling for at least 4 months. Take a break, your wanderlust will come back on its own 🙂

8. Yeah, there should be something to inspire you to take that first step!… All the best to all your future travels 🙂

Haha couldn’t agree more! I will check out your post! Thanks for sharing 🙂

9. Love this! Exactly the reason I love to travel too – there’s so much out there in the world to see!

10. I would have probably walked away from that friend and left them at the waterfall that they weren’t impressed by. Wouldn’t want someone’s energy messing with my travel vibe, and waterfalls and lakes and all natural things are part of what makes travel special for me (PART OF many many facets to travel)

11. evie says

Wonderful. I couldnt live without travel. My seven year old daughter and I have been on the road since February 2016. It’s the best life ever!