Greece, Travel

12 Things You Didn’t Know about Greece

1. The Acropolis’ construction is one of the biggest mysteries in the world. It's construction took ten years to complete without tools or machinery. Perfection is what makes this ancient temple a sight for sore eyes!

2. In the year 2000’, Greece needed to adapt the city of Athens for the 2004 Olympics games. The underground metro was the biggest project in preparation for the event! While digging, construction workers found an entire ancient city buried.  They found various artifacts, such as: pottery, bed frames, houses, paintings and much more. Today you can find all these findings displayed at various metro stations throughout the city.

3. Did you know Adolf Hitler (in his crazy mind) didn’t attack Athens during World War II because he knew that The Acropolis wouldn’t survive the bombing?

4. In Mykonos, there’s a law that states that every house in the island must be painted white. If not, a government official goes to the owner’s house doorstep and close its entrance until the outside walls of the house is painted fully in white.

5. The ancient greek monuments of great importance you see today displayed in archeological sites are not the real monuments. Archaeologists moved the originals monuments to museums and replaced them with identical copies to preserve them.

6. Growing any kind of vegetation in Mykonos is nearly impossible. The women I met told me she loved gardening. Her dream was to grow grass in her backyard, and spent nearly 10 years to grow just the right amount to look “OK”. I laughed.

7. Tap water in the Greek Islands is not filtered. By all means, do not drink tap water! I recommend brushing your teeth with bottled water to avoid getting sick. Also, if you’re a girl, avoid washing your hair too often. The water makes your hair frizz and feel spongy for days!

8. Wondering what happened to all the nearly destroyed ancient greek temples? Truth is they are nearly destroyed because when Christianity came into the picture, the temples weren’t of any use. Many choose to remove several pieces and columns  from the temples to build new Christian churches.  Vandalization wasn’t their intention, but to recycle construction material.

9. There are more than 200 private churches in Mykonos. Most of the churches you see around the island are privately owned. The churches with blue ceiling painting means it's privately own and the ones painted with red ceilings are owned by the Greek government. Interesting, right?

10. Each month, business owners in Old Mykonos Town must paint the street's floor corners with white painting at 7 AM. This is mandatory by the government in order to maintain the floor clean and well presented for the tourists.

11. There’s only ONE pelican in Mykonos names Petros! Only one. This little guy migrated years ago and now he has become a part of Mykonos’ charm.

12. Rainy days in Santorini are very rare. There’s  approx. 300 days of bright sunny days and blue clear skies in a row.

1. Jennifer says

I can honestly say I didn’t know any of these things! I would probably paint my house pink just to mess with people:) It’s amazing how much background is behind all these places.

haha I would totally do that too! But the tour guide told us that the government officials won’t let you inside your home until you paint your house white again. crazy right? – Mariella

Thank you, Nicole! every time I heard a fact I made sure to write it down so I can share it here 🙂 – Mariella

2. Lisa says

A wonderful post, and very interesting on one of my favourite countries! I never knew about Hitler not wanting to bomb Athens – I never knew he had any kind of sensitive chip in his body! So true about tap water in the islands. I didn’t drink it, and yes, my long hair frizzed up too!

Hi Lisa – Right? Neither do I. Apparently he did for The Acropolis :/

3. Girl your photos are absolutely amazing! … especially the one at Pariportiani church. You made me miss Greece all the more. I visited Greece 4 years ago and had no idea about all this haha. I did see a Pelican when I visited Mykonos though … I don’t know what was his name.

4. What a cool list! As a historian, I’m fascinated with the renovation that they did for the 2004 Olympics and finding all of those artifacts. How cool would that be?? Even cooler now that they’ve got the items on display!

Couldn’t agree more! There’s a whole ancient city buried below Athens now, but to be able to get all those ancient pieces they would have to destroy the city. haha

5. Really a very interesting post on Greece and you have given the whole concept of Greece in this post. I was in Greece this April and Mykonos was preparing up for upcoming tourist season, and guess what they were doing is painting their houses and floors white. the white walls and blue doors of Mykonos makes it so unique and photogenic. I also found tap water is not for drinking on islands.

6. Love these facts! I’ve been to Greece but didn’t even know a lot of these. Especially the one about Hitler! Weird considering what he did destroy. That’s so cool they found an ancient city as well. I would love to go back to Greece! Mykonos was one of my favourites 🙂

Exactly – He destroyed everything. On a positive note, thanks to the Acropolis locals didn’t get bombed during the war.

7. Greece is top of my bucket list, it is such a picturesque and beautiful place!! I love your post – thanks for sharing the info!

8. I have been wanting to see this masterpiece for so long. I was pleasantly surprised to read in your article that its construction took ten years to complete without tools or machinery. Love your facts.

Hi Archana – Yes! Until this day, architects can’t figure out how they managed to construct this to perfection without any tools or machinery. Its fascinating to learn how smart ancient civilizations were at the time.