Thoughts

Travel Thoughts: Time & What Really Matters

The thing is, we all think we have time...

Let's take a moment to think about time. Its curious, the perception of time can vary from person to person. For some it passes slower, for some it goes way too fast.

For me, it goes fast. Sometimes faster that I would like to. So earlier today I took a moment to really think about time. "Am I spending enough time focusing on my career? Do I spend too much time watching Netflix? "These are the type of questions I started to analyze.

You cannot recover time. I wish I could back-up my life  just like I backup my laptop. It would be great if we could just recover the time wasted in insignificant things. I'm afraid of not spending the right amount of time on things that matter.

The thing is, decisions. Life is a series of decisions and what you do with your time is up to you. Determine what you really want from life and work towards it now. Today rather than tomorrow.

So the question is: What's important for me? Family, new experiences and my career. The thought that each day you wake up, you are one day older than the day before. Even though we might not think it's a huge difference, each day counts.

Don't just count your years, make your years count. And always remember that when you're feeling like your wasting your time, do something to make it count instead.

- MM.

1. Those are wise choices of what to prioritise in life, family, new experiences and career. I do also ask myself the question, about watching too much Netflix but fortunately I’ve managed to cut it out completely. I must confess as I’m getting older, time seems to be passing a lot quicker!

Hi James – I wish I could cut Netflix! Nowadays we have so man entertainment options that being lazy is quite easy to accomplish :/ safe travels. – Mariella

2. What a philosophical post! Time is especially important when it comes to travel. Should you spend one day in a country or one year? Also, how are you going to use that limited time? What shall you do/see?

I know exactly what you mean, Suzanne! Sometimes I wonder if my way of traveling is the “right way” or I wander if I am doing everything wrong haha that’s just me being crazy at times, but it does crosses my mind haha – Mariella

3. Lisa says

I couldn’t agree more. Time is so precious, and yet we spend some of time on nonsense or doing things we don’t want to do. Life really is short, and we need to spend it wisely!

Hi Lisa – Thank you for your comment! Being mindful that time passes by its the first step 🙂 Safe travels. – Mariella

4. If everyone is to lose conciois of time, at least not a traveler. Each time I see my traveling bucket list, I also beg for more time. Someone said it’s greediness. I love your wristwatch though.

Hi Lydia – yes, my bucket list seems to get bigger and bigger instead of shorter as time passes haha Thank you, I got it at Urban Outfitters 🙂

5. I used to worry too much about the fact that I am growing older each day yet I am not even close to my goal. Well, I was almost into depression and the worry whitened my hair ( I am just 26). Nowadays, I am better, but the thought keeps coming back.

I’m so sorry to hear that, Tania! Take your time. Even if it doesn’t seem that way right now, this feeling won’t last forever. – Mariella

6. I’m so happy someone has touched on this. Time is one of the most precious gifts in this world and yet so much of it is spent in a different way than how we would want it spent. I realized how much my time means to me and that has characterized the important things in my life. I now spend all my time doing only things I love and that push me farther in life rather than the pointless things that bring me down. Great post!

Hi Tantum – It’s great that you are mindful about how precious time is and that you put it into practice. When I do the things I love, time tends to slow down which is the whole point 🙂

7. Jean says

Spending time on the things that make us happy is so important. Even if they seem like trivial things at the time. Like binge watching the latest series on Netflix.

Hi Jean – you’re right, I do enjoy to binge watch some shows, the problem arises when the weekend is suddenly over and just realized that I spent all weekend in bed watching tv. Everything in excess is bad for you. :/

8. Whattay fantastic reminder on why we should take a stock of situation and do the things that really matter. I agree you cannot recover time and just like you I too wish I could back-up my life just like I backup my laptop. But since that’s not possible I’ll try and spend it judiciously.

That’s the way to do it Archana 🙂 Safe travels. – Mariella