Athens, Greece, Travel

Ancient Athens: What’s Left

📍 Athens, Greece

✈️ Arrive at Athens International Airport (ATH)

🏨 Stay at Electra Palace Hotel

☀️ When to go? April - July or September - October

🍴Must Try: Tzatziki - Souvlaki - Giouvetsi with Veal (Orzo)

The Acropolis

The Parthenon

Theatre of Dionysos

Porch of the Caryatids

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Hadrian’s Arch

Temple of Hephaestus

1. Great pictures – there are some famous landmarks in this post. I plan on visiting Athens next year and these pics have put me right in the mood for it! Good luck on your travels!

2. Hanna Jobes says

Such beautiful pictures. I’ve heard so many contrasting opinions on Athens. Looks like you had a wonderful time!

Thank you, Hanna 🙂 I know- I don’t know why some people don’t like Athens. Its such an amazing place!

3. I’ve been to Greek Isles but never to the mainland! Heard quite lot mixed opinions about the mainland but you surely convinced me about Athens being worth visiting. Looks absolutely lovely in there!

The Greek islands are beautiful! Athens and the rest of Greece are very different. 🙂 Thank you!

4. Joanna says

Your photos show very well what is left of the old Athens. They do put your imagination to work, to think about the Legends of Olympus and how they originated here, in Greece. It looks like you had some wonderful weather to explore the ruins.

Hi Joanna – Yes, September is the best time to visit Greece! The weather is clear blue skies and sunny – but not hot. There weren’t much tourists visiting the archeological sites, which made it much better to actually appreciate them. – Mariella

5. Claire says

I’ve wanted to visit Athens for as long as I can remember. I can’t believe I’ve still not made it yet. Love your images of the ruins. You have captured them beautifully.

6. I’m going to Athens in a few days and can’t wait to see all these structures! Your photos are beautiful! I was just in Rome earlier and saw some ruins but these are just so unique and picturesque there’s nothing that can take their place!

Hi Diana – Omg! That’s amazing. Have a wonderful trip and send me the link to your post when you blog about it so I can read it 🙂 Safe travels. – Mariella

7. Athens has been on my bucket list for the longest time, hoping to check it off soon! Great photos of all the beautiful structures. Which one was your favorite?

Hi Kim – Temple of Olympian Zeus by far! The monument (ruins) are located in the heart of the city and you can appreciate the beautiful view of the Acropolis at the very top of Athens 🙂

8. Indrani says

Great picture essay on remains of Athens. You brought back my memories 🙂 and I am really loving the post for that. The first monument I saw there was The Hadrian’s arch… and to see that structure from BC gave me goosebumps.

I wish I could go back soon as well! Greece is a breathtaking place indeed 🙂

9. That’s a great angle to cover a great city! I always wanted to know what is left of the old civilization in a city like this that has been continuously inhabited since antiquity. Wish there was more but glad to see what is remaining has been preserved well.

Hello jitaditya – Did you know Athen’s underground metro showcase wide variety of artifacts recollected by workers during this project’s construction? Athens is such an amazing place that just by going to the subway you can learn Ancient Greek history 🙂