Ecuador, Galapagos Islands, Travel

The Secret Behind Floreana Island’s Famous Mailbox

Floreana is a deserted island with a lot of secrets and hidden messages. Decades ago, someone decided to build a rustic mailbox here. This mailbox is just like any other, the difference is that there’s no mail service. (Wait what?)

How do these letters get delivered? Ta-da! It’s up to YOU to deliver a letter. The mailbox is Floreana’ main attraction. Tourists find this a fascinating!  Think about it: some of these get delivered, some envelopes spend decades in this mailbox in the middle of nowhere and some of them will never arrive, but how cool would it be if it actually arrives?

I was eight years old when I visited Floreana for the first time. My dad and I took a day-trip cruise to three neighbor islands from Santa Cruz. I remember the my dad's “lecture”  He explained how the mailbox worked and the history behind it. Lol

Both of us wrote a letter that day. And I also remember that I took a letter with me that day, but since I was only eight years old I can quite remember if I actually delivered the letter to the recipient or not? I hope so.

If you feel adventurous and committed, grab an envelope and make it your mission to get the letter delivered. Next time I visit the Galapagos, I’ll make sure to go to Floreana again. This time I am going to search for the letter I wrote all those years ago.

Until next trip,

Mariella

1. I love this story! I would love to see this mail box. I haven’t been to Floreana, but I would like to go now. Also your cute dad and daughter photo is lovely!

Thank you, Lucy! Floreana is indeed an amazing place to visit. Add it to your bucket list 🙂

2. This is the first time I hear about it, the idea is fascinating!! How crazy it would be if our letter would be received years later!

Right? I would totally freaked out but be happy at the same time haha 🙂

3. Oh I love this! I’ve never heard of the post box before but what a wonderful, romantic idea it’s almost like a message in a bottle. I’ll make it there one day 🙂

You should! The Galapagos Islands are simply majestic 🙂

4. omg what! Didn’t know this existed! I just added this to my bucket list! How amazing is it!

Yay! Definitely worth the visit 🙂 Safe travels. – Mariella

5. I never heard of this! That is such a cool tidbit, and so much fun. I would absolutely make the side trip, just to drop off a letter and pick another up to be delivered. Such a great idea.

Hi Megan – Not many people know about this, which makes it even cooler! haha

6. This is so cool!! I’ve never heard of this before, it would be so neat to see it! It’ll be interesting to see if your letter is still there or not!

Hi Emily! YES.. haha i am dying to know if my letter is still there. I’m sure next time I’m in Floreana Island I’m going to go through all the pile of letters to see if I find mine 🙂 Safe travels. – Mariella

7. I’ve never heard about such a thing! I wonder if there are similar mailboxes in other places, maybe in Europe?

Ha! Maybe? If not, its a great idea 🙂 haha safe travels. – Mariella

8. Daniela || Ipanema travels to says

I love your story. Revisiting places from the childhood is wonderful! Memories get mixed with reality and everything gets this sweet perspective…

HI Daniela! I agree. Childhood memories are by far more valuable. 🙂