Hanoi, Travel, Vietnam

Top 9 Things To Do In Hanoi, Vietnam

“There’s so much going on” is what most people will tell you about Hanoi. Indeed, there’s a lot happening all at once but I loved it!

Here's the top nine attraction to see when in Hanoi:

1.The Huc Bridge- This beautiful red bridge connects the sacred Buddhist Ngoc Son Temple and the bank of Hoan Kiem Lake in the center of the city.

2.Hoàn Kiếm Lake- Hoan Kiem Lake, also known as Hồ Gươm, is a lake in the historical center of Hanoi, the capital city of Vietnam. The lake is one of the major scenic spots in the city and serves as a local point for its public life.

3. Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum - Vietminh leader Ho Chi Minh's final resting place. When He died in 1969, his body was sent to Russia to be preserved. It is very impressive to see how many people stand in line for hours just to visit his body and pay respects. Make sure you spot the change of guards!

4. Temple of Literature - Also known as Temple of Confucius and Vietnam's first university. Also , its one of the most preserved examples of Vietnamese architecture in Hanoi.

5. One Pillar Pagoda - One of the most iconic temples in the city. The One Pillar Pagoda was built by Emperor Ly Thai Tong (1028) and has been standing ever since.

6. Trấn Quốc Pagoda - Constructed in the 6th Century by King Ly Nam De as a cultural symbol for Buddhism in Vietnam. One of Vietnam's oldest temples, this pagoda is located in an small island. Make sure to catch the sunset overlooking the Trấn Quốc Pagoda, simply beautiful!

7. Hanoi Opera House - Constructed by the French colonial administration between 1901 and 1911. It radiates neoclassical French architecture featuring Gothic themes.

8. Quán Thánh Temple - Formerly known as Trấn Vũ Temple. The  is a Quán Thánh  Taoist temple located near the west lake.

9. Vietnam's National Museum of Fine Arts - Established by the government, this museum showcases Vietnam's fine arts from various periods in history, late 20th and early 21st Century.

Things To Know:

📍Hanoi, Vietnam

✈️ Arrive at Nom Bai International Airport

🏨 Stay at Hilton Hanoi Opera

☀️ When to go? February to April

1. Riely says

I have never thought much about visiting Vietnam, but your post has highlighted some great historical destinations that seem rich in history and interesting. Hoàn Kiếm Lake and the Temple of Literature would be in my list to visit. How neat that the Temple of Literature is one of the most preserved Vietnamese architecture in Hanoi. Thanks for the top to dos in Hanoi.

Hi Riley – Vietnam can get chaotic, but worth the visit 100% 🙂

2. Your cover pic is so cute. You look so pretty. I love Hanoi. I especially loved visiting the Huc Bridge at night. The lighting added the drama.

3. The pagoda looks beautiful! good idea to see the sunset there! Actually everything looks beautiful. Vietnam is on my endless bucket list anyway! 🙂

4. I’m yet to explore the far eastern countries! When I plan a trip to Vietnam, I guess Hanoi cannot be left untouched! The Ngoc Son temple and that bridge are beautiful! A 10 centuries old Pagoda? That’s interesting.

Make sure to visit Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and Halong Bay. Once you do those three Vietnamese cities and the sightseeing the endless panoramic views of the bay, you’ll fall in love with this country!

5. Love your pic with the weighing scale. All the sightseeing spots especially the temples and pagodas look beautiful. I would like to watch a play in the opera house for sure if i ever get to visit this place. 🙂

Hi Rahul Khurana – Definitely consider Vietnam in your future travel plans, its such an amazing place that is worth the long trip 🙂

6. I didn’t know there was so much to do in Hanoi, Vietnam. The Hoan Kiem Lake looks like a break from the city within the city. I love photographing colourful buildings so I’d have to check out the Opera House. The Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum looks like a very interesting stop too.

The Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum was my favorite attraction by far! Its fascinating how locals wait in line for 40 mins to even hours to show respect. The tour guide told us that some people visit Ho Chi Minh’s body every day.

7. Woah, all those pictures were amazing. You looked like you had a blast! I would live to visit the Quan Temple it looksvery beautiful. All those temples have been standing for so long, thats amazing…thanks for sharing!

Hi Karen – I did ! I had such a great experience in Vietnam. Hopefully I’ll go back again in the future. – Mariella

8. aareeba says

wow this is such a great list , am sharing this with my friends as one of them is going to Vietnam soon. I loved your pictures and your outfit too

Thank you for sharing and spreading the word with your friends, aareeba! Safe travels. – Mariella

9. This is quick and sorted list. I am gonna use it when I visit Vietnam soon. Temple of Literature has won my attention and I did not know that Hanoi had an Opera House too.

Hi Manjulika – You are going to have a blast in Hanoi! Very beautiful city, yet chaotic, but rich in culture and kind people all around. 🙂 Safe travels. – Mariella