I’ve been traveling the world for four years now, and getting my Global Entry status was always on my mind. I kept procrastinating this until one day I put my foot down and decided to do this once and for all.
Little did I know what the entire process was quick and easy.
Follow the detailed instructions listed below and, before you know it, you’ll be a Global Entry passenger with access to multiple perks when traveling around the world.
Getting thru customs made easy thanks to Global Entry! Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Global Entry GOES official website and create an account: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/index.jsp
- Fill out the application online – At the end, review that all the information is correct.
- You’ll need two billing address proofs – Print it out.
- Make a copy of your passport and driver’s license – Print it out.
- Once you’ve gather all the documentation above, schedule your interview appointment. - Tip: morning appointments are advised if you want to avoid crowds.
- Create a physical folder with all the documentation mentioned above and make sure to bring along your original passport and driver’s license. – Make sure both documents are valid. If expired, renew them prior to your interview.
Global Entry (GOES) Interview.
Get ready to answer questions about your past travels. The officer may ask you your reason for traveling to certain countries around the world. – Take a moment to revise your travel history from the past decade. In my case, for example, the officer asked me why I traveled to Cuba, Vietnam and Cambodia.
The interview takes approx. 15 - 20 mins.
At the end, the official will tell you if you got approved or not for Global Entry.
Once approved, wait 48-hrs for the system to update.
Things To Know.
- Your official Global Entry GOES Card will arrive in the mail within 10 business days.
- The Global Entry GOES card does not work at the kiosk. You need your passport!
- You need a valid passport to travel - many people think that they don’t.
- The Global Entry GOES status expires in five years.
Being a Global Entry GOES traveler has multiple perks. Take advantage of all the items mention below next time you travel:
- No line at customs – Hell Yeah! Breeze thru customs with Global Entry GOES.
- Nothing quite like arriving home and breeze thru customs.
- Get TSA Pre-check on all international and national flights.
- No need to take your computer, shoes or jacket off at security check point.
- Now airports provide a special designated security check point for TSA PRE CHECK travelers.
What’s the difference between TSA PRE CHECK & GLOBAL ENTRY?
The majority of frequent travelers get Global Entry GOES to get TSA PRE CHECK perks at security check point. For this reason, many prefer to get TSA PRE CHECK approval instead of Global Entry GOES because its cheaper and the online application is easier to complete.
But here’s the catch: Global Entry GOES travelers get TSA PRECHECK perks for both, national and international, flights.
Travelers approved with TSA PRECHECK only do not get pre-check perks when traveling abroad. Only within flights in the US.
For this reason, I highly recommend getting Global Entry GOES. It might be a little more expensive, but at the end you’ll receive all these perks.
Questions? Do not hesitate to ask in the comment section below.
Safe travels & good luck,